The following research was provided by Janice Hildebrand.
The Fringe, A Country Inn began as a Carriage House, built in 1922 for Peter Reiss. Reiss purchased the Giddings property in 1922 from Harvard Giddings, son of pioneer settler David Giddings. The 349-acre farm was added to by Peter Reiss, who made the frame home on the property his summer home.
An article in the Sheboygan County News of March 4, 1908, gives a vivid description of the property:
Pine Hurst Farm, which is situated partly within the limits of the picturesque village of Sheboygan Falls and partly in the town of Lima is one of the most beautiful and productive farms in the North west, consisting of more then 400 acres, about 200 of which are under a high state of cultivation, 120 in beautiful woods and the balance in natural pasturage, well supplied with water by the Onion River and an abundance of natural springs.
The buildings on the Pine Hurst Farm are also ample and well equipped with large roomy stables for the rearing and care of horses. Mr. Giddings lives in a fine new home at the edge of the pine grove and the farm in conducted by his son, Harry Giddings, who resides in the old home nearby. This land has been in the possession of the Giddings family since 1838.
Peter Reiss upgraded all of the buildings in 1913 shortly after he took possession of the farm. He died at his summer home Sept. 5, 1926, and the property passed to his wife, Mattie Pape Reiss. Their two daughters, Carita and Gertrude, married and had families and they spent their summers at Pinehurst.
In 1949 the original Giddings’ home, the carriage house, two poultry houses, a greenhouse, 10 acres of virgin pine woods, 180 apple-bearing trees and 12 acres of gardening land comprising 37 and a half acres was sold to The Christian Home for a home for the aged. In 1950, they sold the Giddings home, the carriage house, greenhouses and apple orchard to private parties.
The carriage house was sold to Arthur Raushcert, a local mortician and furniture store owner. Raushcert extensively remodeled the building and turned it into a furniture store. An open house was held Sept. 7-9, 1951. Raushcert operated the store for about 10 years before he retired.
The structure was sold to C. James and Sherry Kohler who made it their home. The Kohlers lived there until their divorce and Sherry remained there another two years. In 1968 she sold it to Dr. Robert and Therese Weber.
In August, 2003 Ruth and Carl Paul, daughter and son-in-law of the Weber's, moved into the home and began the renovations to convert the home into a Bed and Breakfast. They purchased the home from Dr. Weber in April, 2004 and opened for business in June, 2004.
It was the Weber's who originally named the property "The Fringe". Their reasons include: the property was on the southern Fringe of Sheboygan Falls; their church was on the northern Fringe of the Milwaukee Archdiocese; and with eight children and this huge mortgage, they were on the Fringe of insanity.
Carl and Ruth chose to keep the name "The Fringe" to carry on the tradition, especially the insanity part, and to pique the interest of golfers referring to the Fringe of the green. In addition, the room names were chosen to honor their parents, Therese Barbara and Robert Charles (Weber), and Lucille Marie and James Edward (Paul).